The Generative A.I. Brief Issue #1
A glimpse into my New free Newsletter
It’s Friday, I’m supposed to be on break. However I wanted to share with you the first issue of my new Newsletter called the Generative A.I. Brief.
It’s a bit more of a play on the threadbois of beehiiv sort of links rundown. And a bit related to my Reddit. The concept is about saving professionals time. I’ve always been interested in aggregation and curation as a service (ACAS).
To get my best work on this Newsletter, sign-up to support my full-time job (currently only a part time income).
My problem as a reader of these A.I. rundowns, whether it’s Ben’s Bites or another, is they all start to sound the same. They cover pretty mainstream stuff, and there are many niche interests I have that are frankly, outside of their coverage. So here’s a bit what I was thinking:
Basically I’d test out different run-down categories and keep the ones my audience actually click on the most. The inaugural Newsletter has just a small glimpse of the categories I was thinking of trying.
The links would be fresh, generally a day or a few days old, but sometimes a few weeks old on more rare topics. Take a look: (click on title or here to read on browser)
The Generative A.I. Brief - Issue #1
By the makers of A.I. Supremacy - Support.
What you click on will shape the coverage of future categories. The reader will shape the evolution of this publication.
💬Introduction for Today🎯
This week has been dominated by discussions of A.I. regulation and on how A.I. could evolve into an existential threat. Welcome, it's May 25th, 2023.
Source: Cowboy Ventures.
📢Top News 📺
• Bing is now the default search for ChatGPT (link)
▪ Adobe Photoshop’s new “Generative Fill” AI tool lets you manipulate photos with text (link).
ByteDance (TikTok) is testing an AI chatbot called Tako (link)
Google Search starts rolling out ChatGPT-style generative AI results (link)
OpenAI says it could ‘cease operating’ in the EU if it can’t comply with future regulation (link)
Meta pulls the curtain back on its A.I. chips for the first time (link)
Spotify could employ AI-generated voices to read you personalized ads (link)
Microsoft launches Fabric (link)
Meta Open Sources Multi-Lingual Language Models to Maximize Inclusion (link)
Intel Announces Aurora genAI, Generative AI Model With 1 Trillion Parameters (link)
Google introduces Product Studio, a tool that lets merchants create product imagery using generative AI (link)
A.I. Euphoria Lifts Nvidia's Market Cap Valuation Higher (link)
🎥Videos & Podcasts🎙️
• Elon Musk on AI, China, Tesla and Succession Planning | WSJ (link)
▪ AI and the future of humanity | Yuval Noah Harari at the Frontiers Forum (link)
Sam Altman and Greg Brockman on AI and the Future (link)
E129: Sam Altman plays chess with regulators, AI's "nuclear" potential, big pharma bundling & more (link)
💰Stock Market 🛒
• Nvidia shares spike 26% on huge forecast beat driven by A.I. chip demand (link)
• QuillBot is an innovative AI-powered tool that can help you rephrase your writing in a way that is both easy to read and engaging. So why wait? Try QuillBot's paraphrasing tool today and take your writing to the next level!
▪ LoopGenius is an AI-powered marketing engine that helps you acquire your first 100 customers as fast as Gary Vee talks.
Sapient AI combines contextual insights, code intelligence, and generative AI to automate software testing.
Autodraft AI An AI tool that empowers users to bring their creative ideas to life through visual storytelling.
Trava - AI-scaled modern travel agent (link)
Naval is building a social media app called Airchat (link)
📝 Papers 🗏
• Researchers created LIMA, a new language model that performs better at complex tasks than GPT-4 and Bard with very, very little training data.
▪ QLoRA - Efficient finetuning of quantized LLMs (link)
🤖 Robotics 🦿
• Jizai Arms – AI Robotic Arms That Turns You Into Spider-Man (link)
▪ Alphabet’s Intrinsic launches Flowstate, a robotic app development platform (link)
Humanoid Robots Are Coming of Age (link)
🎖️National Defense & Military🕊️
• Future wars are going to be catastrophic and robotic, and militaries have to 'come to grips' with that, former general says (link)
▪ Why the military moves faster than government on AI (link)
• The AI healthcare revolution has begun (link)
▪ WHO warns against bias, misinformation in using AI in healthcare (link)
🧪 Science 🔬
• Photonic Chips Curb AI Training’s Energy Appetite (link)
▪ How AI is learning to read the human mind (link)
Bill Gates says AI could become so powerful that people would never need to use a search engine again (link)
🚀 Startups 🧠
• Dutch-based Axelera AI aims for US expansion; adds €46.2M to its arsenal (link)
▪ AI startups outpace others in securing funding from VCs (link)
Snowflake acquires Neeva to bring intelligent search to its cloud data management solution (link)
Arc launches HireAI to make finding software developers easier (link)
🎓 Education & Learning📚
• Text-to-Video: The Task, Challenges and the Current State (link)
▪ Understanding Large Language Models (link)
🔮Future of Work & Automation🦾
• Column: When AI takes your job, you may not even know it (link)
▪ Machines of mind: The case for an AI-powered productivity boom (link)
Uber to offer autonomous ride-hailing and delivery services using Waymo’s robotaxis (link)
• Anthropic raises $450M to build next-gen AI assistants (link)
▪ Modular app-building platform Builder.ai raises $250 million Series D funding (link)
Figure raises $70M to build its humanoid robots (link)
🐲 China A.I.🏯
• China races ahead of U.S. on AI regulation (link)
▪ China’s internet watchdog warns of ‘serious challenge’ to governance and regulation from latest tech advances like generative AI (link)
Biden trade curbs on China risk huge damage to US tech sector, says Nvidia chief (link)
• Google Will Soon Show You AI-Generated Ads (link)
▪ Fake Pentagon explosion photo goes viral: How to spot an AI image (link)
What is superintelligence? How AI could replace humans as the dominant lifeform on Earth (link)
🏛Governance and Regulation⚖️
• Stability AI's Letter to the United States Senate (link)
▪ White House reveals its next steps toward 'responsible' AI development (link)
OpenAI leaders propose international regulatory body for AI (link)
• Americans who know about ChatGPT are mostly young, affluent, and well-educated (link)
Silicon Valley is knowingly violating ethical A.I. principles. Society can’t respond if we let disagreements poison the debate (link)
▪ Is It Ethical to Use Generative AI in Fiction Writing? (link)
• GPT-4 vs Bard vs Claude (link)
🌏Manifestations of Utopia🏙️
• Microsoft launches A.I. for good Chatbot in India to help rural villagers in 'media-dark areas' access government services (link).
▪ Solana Labs integrates ChatGPT plugin to connect blockchain to AI (link)
Google expands its AI flood forecasting tool to 460M people in 80 countries, predicting floods up to seven days in advance. (link)
• SandboxAQ Successfully Tests its Quantum Navigation System with the U.S. Air Force (link)
▪ Quantum sensors will start a revolution — if we deploy them right (link)
Quantum Computing Is Becoming Business Ready (link)
On Nvidia gaining $200 Billion in market cap after hours, after Earnings, May, 2023.
Source: Trung Tweet.
If you said yes, you might want to subscribe to the free Newsletter. It will always be free but if it ever got big enough would be monetized via Native Ads.
This is a treasure trove. The links are worth exploring. I tried out the quillbot (the AI writing aid), and ran through some of my own posts to see what it would do. The results were not bad, and sometimes better. And yet it left me with an uneasy feeling, as if I were feeding in not bits of my writing, but bits of my soul.
But enough about me. Here’s how quillbot put it: “This is a veritable gold mine. It's worthwhile to explore the relationships. I ran several of my own posts through the quillbot (the AI writing tool) to see how it performed. In certain cases, the outcomes were even better. And yet, it gave me the unsettling impression that I was ingesting not just pieces of my work but also pieces of my soul.”